Before You Dose Off, Know Sleep Apnea
- Posted on: Nov 15 2014
The whole business of sleep is mysterious to most people. There is far more going on than you realize. And one thing that could be happening is sleep apnea. While it seems realitively harmless, it can, in fact, be very dangerous. If you think you may suffer from sleep apnea, based on the observations of others, or if you know someone who has been snoring like a freight train lately, read on.
Do you have sleep apnea?
There are two types of sleep apnea: obstructive and central. The former is more common and occurs when the throat muscles relax; the latter occurs when there is an obstruction in the signals from the brain to the breathing muscles. It may be hard to detect if you have sleep apnea, but if you suspect you do, Dr. Sultan recommends you ask someone to observe you as you sleep. You may be suffering from this condition if you:
- Seem too sleepy, even in the daytime
- Snore loudly. This is a more prominent symptom in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.
- Experience episodes where your breathing ceases while you sleep
- Experience headaches in the morning
- Are frequently awakened abruptly due to shortness of breath, an indication of central sleep apnea
- Are frequently awakened with a sore throat or dry mouth
- Have trouble focusing your attention
- Find it difficult to stay asleep, a condition known as insomnia
Snoring and Sleep Apnea Treatment in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
If you have the above symptoms, or if you have noticed them in your partner, consult a medical professional right away. Heavy snoring is easily shrugged off and seen as normal, but it wouldn’t hurt to visit your doc for a checkup. Give us a call today at 954-771-8772 to book an appointment with Dr. Sultan and know if you are suffering from sleep apnea.
Posted in: Sleep Apnea & Snoring