The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is an important part of the body and has essential functions. However, when it has been compromised and has started to cause you pain, then TMJ replacement surgery by Dr. Sultan might be a good option for you to consider.
Good Candidates for TMJ replacement
Most of the time, a TMJ disorder comes with chronic symptoms, such as pain and jaw dysfunction, which can affect your quality of life. A TMJ replacement will not only provide pain relief, but will also restore the lost functional properties of the joint. It is a serious surgery that must be thoroughly assessed and reconsidered.
This type of surgery is frequently recommended for patients who are experiencing the following conditions:
- Different arthritic conditions
- Functional deformity
- Resorbed or degenerated joints that are characterized by severe anatomic discrepancies
- Joints that have been under multiple operations
- Joints that have been in failed revision procedures
- Avascular necrosis
- Developmental abnormality
- Benign neoplasms
Contraindications for TMJ Replacement
Some conditions may prevent you from having TMJ replacement.
- An active or a chronic infection
- A systemic disease that makes one susceptible to infection
- Extensive perforations in the mandibular fossa or any bony parts in the TMJ area that may severely compromise the placement of the artificial fossa
- Allergic reactions to any of the components used during the operation
- Severe hyperfunctional habits such as teeth grinding or clenching
- Partial TMJ reconstruction
- Mental or neurological conditions that may sabotage the success of the operation
TMJ Surgery and Replacement in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Request a consultation with Dr. Sultan to find out if you are a good candidate for a TMJ replacement procedure. Call us today at (954) 771-8772 to book an appointment with Dr. Sultan.