The wisdom teeth, or the “third molars,” are well-known for becoming problematic for many patients. Patients may wonder if removal of the wisdom teeth is a smart choice. Dr. Leslie Sultan of Fort Lauderdale, FL is committed to providing patients with solutions for their smile, including information regarding the extraction of these teeth.
Five reasons why the wisdom teeth may be removed
- Diseased/infected – any tooth that is severely diseased or infected and cannot be improved with antibiotics or other restorative options may need to be extracted. Wisdom teeth are far back in the mouth and can be difficult to clean properly. This makes them a higher risk for decay and disease. Removal may be necessary.
- Impacted – an impacted tooth is a tooth that is hitting against the surrounding tooth. It may not be able to come up through the gum line and becomes stuck. In situations such as this, the best course of action is to perform surgical wisdom tooth removal and remove the tooth from under the gums. This is a more invasive procedure, but often necessary.
- Difficult to reach – these teeth can be difficult for patients to reach to properly brush and floss them. This makes them an increased risk for infection, disease, or decay. Since these teeth are not necessary in the smile, they can be removed to maintain oral health and wellness.
- Protect orthodontic work – if patients have had orthodontic work performed during their teen years and their wisdom teeth have not come through the gum line, some dentists may suggest surgical removal to preserve orthodontic work that has been completed. These teeth may come into the dental arch and disturb the alignment, reversing the work that was done years before.
- Address overcrowding – patients who have overcrowding in their smile can easily remove their wisdom teeth to help relieve the crowding and improve alignment of the teeth.
Sultan Center for Oral Facial Surgery offers wisdom tooth removal
If you are interested in comprehensive full scope oral and maxillofacial surgery with an experienced provider in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area, we welcome you to book a consultation visit with our staff. Dr. Leslie Sultan and his providers are here to help. Call (954) 771-8772 for your evaluation and to discuss your dental needs. The practice is conveniently located at 4800 North Federal Highway #201.