Seeking a comprehensive full-scope oral and maxillofacial surgery professional is sometimes needed when patients are faced with tooth extractions. Whether you need a simple extraction of an erupted tooth or a surgical extraction for impacted teeth, Dr. Leslie Sultan of Fort Lauderdale, FL, can assist. He can evaluate you to determine if you are in need of dental extractions and would benefit from having one or more teeth removed.
Below are just a few of the situations that can arise in which a dentist may recommend simple or surgical extraction in the smile.
When might dental extractions be necessary?
- Misaligned/overcrowded teeth. Teeth that are imperfectly aligned may benefit from orthodontic work. However, there are times when overcrowding can result in the need for the removal of certain teeth to make room to pursue orthodontia.
- Teeth with severe decay. Patients with teeth that have large cavities may find that they are not repairable. In situations like this, removal of the teeth may be needed.
- Failed root canal therapy. Patients who have had root canal therapy, or endodontic therapy, to save a tooth that has not provided the desired results will find that extraction of the tooth might be necessary.
- Infection and disease. Periodontal disease is an infection that starts in the gum tissues and can spread throughout the mouth and body. If the jawbone has shrunk due to periodontal disease, it can result in teeth becoming loose or lost. Dr. Leslie Sultan may need to extract these teeth if they are no longer viable.
- Decayed or impacted wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth are the third molars and the last teeth to erupt in the smile. If you have wisdom teeth that are contributing to disease due to their location in the back of the mouth, or if you have wisdom teeth that have become impacted, oral surgery is often recommended to permanently remove them.
Do you suspect you need teeth extracted?
Dr. Leslie Sultan of Fort Lauderdale, FL, is a dedicated professional in the community who can help patients in need of dental extractions. His practice can be reached at 954-771-8772 and can provide a wide range of oral surgery solutions for referred and current patients.